Friday, April 4, 2008

A Tiny Victory

Last fall when Vashoners got their property tax assessments for 2008, we were treated to a very unpleasant surprise. People with names like Biffle French were outraged. 

My tax-assessed property value doubled from 2007. According to the county, my 1955 Terra Cruiser is worth $95,000. 
I'm no fool, and no bridge salesman. I know that I can't get a dime for my Terra Cruiser. The bank knows it - they won't finance the property and my insurance company knows it - they won't insure it.
So I filed an appeal with the county. Knowing how corrupt and retarded King County is, I had no hopes of being heard, but I wasn't going to take this lying down.
Yesterday I got a call from one of the County appraisers. He had "good news" for me. They had "mis-applied" their "assessment model" to my property and they would be reducing my property value to LESS than what it was 2007, cutting my property taxes by more than half! Not only that, he APOLOGIZED for the error. 
I'm looking out my window for the flying pigs, and wondering if it's a chilly day in hell.


No comments: